GUIDELINES FOR MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION
There is a membership cap of 25. If new applications would cause that gap to be exceeded, the names of successful candidates will be placed on a provisional list until an opening occurs.
The successful applicant will be a practicing professional artist or a serious amateur with many years of experience in the arts. While not requirements, most of the artists will bring to the gallery the knowledge gained from prior public exhibitions or other credentials such as arts awards, degrees or publications. We seek individuals with a strong and clear artistic vision, a demonstrated level of mastery in their chosen medium, and an aesthetically consistent presentation of the work that meets the gallery's standards.
1. Be part of a community of dedicated artists who support and encourage each other’s development and success.
2. Have at least three pieces of art in the display bin at the gallery at all times, and a display book on the shelf behind the sitter's desk.
3. Have a solo show at least every 3 years, and participate in a duo show or minishow at regular intervals.
4. Enjoy opportunities throughout the year to be part of group shows at the gallery.
5. Benefit from the broad exposure afforded by our location in Little Washington, VA.
1. Annual membership dues are $770 a year, with a minimum of $55 a year. A member may pay full dues or fulfill this responsibility by a combination of paying dues and gallery sitting, up to a maximum of 13 times a year. The daily rate for gallery sitting is $55.
2. The gallery commission rate on sold work is 35% of its price before taxes.
3. All Members are responsible for specific task(s) and are part of one of the committees that operate the gallery.
4. Members attend meetings on the 2nd Saturday morning of each month or as convened.
5. Members attend monthly Openings and special gallery functions as often as possible.
6. Members keep informed of gallery business by reading minutes and e-mails.
To apply to become an Artist-Member:
Send the following to the Chair of the Applications Committee, currently Kathleen Willingham: firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. A completed application form (contact Kathleen who will send it to you)
2. Three-five images of recent work - include dimensions and medium for each image
3. An artist statement specifically related to the images submitted
4. A link to your web site, if you have one or are included in one
5. A brief bio and resume
We hold application interviews in July, October, January and April.
Your application will be sent to all current members for a vote as to whether or not the applicant will proceed to the next step in the process. The applicant will be notified of the decision and, if applicable, the date of jurying.
On the jurying date, candidates will meet with a jurying committee of at least 5 current members to present their art work, speak about their art and answer any questions that the committee will have. Candidates will also have the opportunity to ask questions of the committee.
The jurying committee will make the final decision as to the acceptance of candidates. The jury chairperson will notify the candidate.
Kathleen will contact you to schedule the presentation of your work for jurying. In addition, she will ask you a few questions about your work and your experience as an artist in order to get to know you better.
On the jurying date, you must bring at least five framed pieces of your current work to the gallery, by no later than 11:00 a.m. We ask that you pick up your work soon after our scheduled review meetings.
Kathleen Willingham, Membership Applications Committee Chair
540 439 8302