GUIDELINES FOR MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION
The successful applicant will be a practicing professional artist or a serious amateur with many years of experience in the arts. While not requirements, most of the artists will bring to the gallery the knowledge gained from prior public exhibitions or other credentials such as arts awards, degrees or publications. We seek individuals with a strong and clear artistic vision, a demonstrated level of mastery in their chosen medium, and an aesthetically consistent presentation of the work that meets the gallery's standards.
1. Be part of a community of dedicated artists who support and encourage each other’s development and success.
2. Have at least one piece of your art on display at the gallery at all times
3. Have the opportunity to produce a solo show at the gallery at least once every two years
4. Enjoy opportunities throughout the year to be part of group shows at the gallery
5. Benefit from the broad exposure afforded by our location in Little Washington, VA
1. Annual dues of $770 are payable quarterly. A member may sit 14 times a year and pay no dues. As an alternative they may choose not to gallery sit and pay full dues, or some combination there of. The daily rate for gallery sitting is $55.
2. For sold work the gallery commission rate is 35%.
3. Contribute to the operation of the gallery by assuming responsibility for a specific task.
4. Attend meetings on the 2nd Saturday morning of each month
5. Attend monthly Openings and special gallery functions as often as possible
6. Keep informed of gallery business by reading minutes and e-mails
To apply to become an Artist-Member:
Send the following to the Chair of the Applications Committee, currently Kathleen Willingham: email@example.com
1. A completed application form that Kathleen will send to you when you contact her
2. Three to five images of recent work---be sure to include dimensions and medium for each image
3. An artist statement specifically related to the images submitted
4. A link to your web site, if applicable
5. A brief bio and resume
We hold application interviews quarterly (July, Oct, Jan and April)
- Upon receipt of your application, your images and information will be sent to all the current Middle Street members for a vote as to whether or not the applicant will proceed to the next step in the process. Kathleen will notify the applicant as to the decision and if applicable the date of jurying.
There will be a jury committee consisting of at least five current members. The candidate will meet with the committee to present their art work, speak about their art and answer any questions that the committee will have. The candidate will also have the opportunity to ask questions of the committee.
The Jury committee will make the decision as to the acceptance of the candidate. The jury chairperson will notify the candidate of acceptance.
- Kathleen will contact you to schedule the presentation of your work for jurying. In addition, she will ask you a few questions about your work and your experience as an artist in order to get to know you better.
- On the date your work is scheduled for jurying, you must have a minimum of five framed, current pieces of your work at the gallery by 11:00a.m. We ask that you pick up your work soon after our scheduled review meetings.
Kathleen Willingham, Membership Applications Committee Chair
540 439 8302